You may be starting a new career, or simply looking to find the next step in your career. These “stepping-stone” times are important stages in your life, where you navigate difficult decisions, weigh different strategies, and explore new options for yourself. Developing your career is a rewarding process - and here are some tips on how to plan for a successful career.
- Define your goals: To properly develop your career, you need to decide where you want to be in your career at various stages in your life. Where do you want to be 6 months, a year, 5 years, and beyond? Although it can be difficult to pinpoint your goals when the future is unknown, you should have a basic blueprint of where you see yourself. For example, you may want to score well on your performance review in 6 months, get a promotion to a senior role within a year, and achieve partnership goals within 5 years.
- Set up a game-plan: Now that you know where you want to go, it’s time to define the best ways for you to get there. What can you start doing today to score better on your performance reviews? What initiatives can you take on that will help build up your résumé for the future? What networking relationships can you foster to help your career in the future?
- Update your résumé: With each day, your skills are being honed and mastered. It’s important that your résumé reflects the most up-to-date information about your skills and experience. As well, as your goals and game-plan changes, you’ll likely need to résumé your resume accordingly to align with your objectives.
- Contact an expert: Recruitment companies like IMS Group have expert staff that can provide you with valuable insights to develop your career. We know the ins-and-outs about what companies are looking for in your industry, and can help you navigate the process of making your next career move. In many cases, our recruiters actually help candidates tweak their résumés, and offer access to tools and opportunities that cannot be found elsewhere. Second opinions can be extremely helpful, so why not speak to an expert?
- Don’t give up: Nothing great was ever easy, and developing your career is definitely a great move. Remind yourself that your hard work will pay off, and that if you stay determined to accomplish your goals, they will happen!
We hope you found these tips useful and motivating. At IMS Group, we ensure that we match excellent candidates with the career opportunities that are the best match for their skillset, personality, and career goals. Our recruiters are experts at pinpointing the skills of our candidates, and helping them as much as possible on their path of career development. For more tips on developing your career, visit our website at www.IMSGroup.com. To setup an appointment with a recruiter, feel free to give us a call at (416) 515-2939. Don’t delay, give us a call and start making important steps for your future career today!