- Responsible and accountable for the construction of projects including client liaison, administrative functions, and field activities.
- Work as a team with the project superintendent and field staff to ensure best scheduling, highest quality, and safest sites.
- Ensure client satisfaction and maximize profitability in all activities.
Pre-Construction and Project Start-up
- Works as a team with sales through budgeting and pre-planning processes to ensure projects are secured.
- Provide feedback during sales/contractual process regarding planning, scheduling, and profitability. Coordinate, assist, or complete estimating and project budgets where required.
- Review all project information files and estimates and discuss with sales any details relative to pricing philosophy, schedule, etc.
- Ensure estimate is properly reviewed and coded and coordinate with Sales and Estimating to prepare initial project invoice.
- Consult with Construction & Operations Manager for field manpower and resources to properly staff project.
- Assume responsibility for Project Schedule from Sales.
- For design/build projects (on a project specific basis), co-ordinate all activities/interface between consultants. Ensure cost effective and practical design/details are incorporated into drawings and specifications.
Project Management and Coordination
- Overall responsibility and accountability for project success.
- Prime contact with client representative.
- Identify long lead delivery items and purchase as soon as possible to meet project schedules.
- Project schedule prepared using MS Project, reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
- Finalize subcontractors and subcontract documents, and ensure all project documentation is formalized to cover scope of work, payment terms, schedule, safety etc.
- Work closely with and assist in development of office and field staff assigned to project – and ensure invoiced and billed to clients where applicable.
- Monitor company resources use for maximum efficiency.
- Assist superintendent in pursuit of zero deficiency work.
- Prepare complete project management files/ Binders for detailed monitoring /filing of all project information to standard Sierra Viewpoint system. Review and comment on shop drawings in a timely manner.
- Review all subcontractor and supplier draws for payment.
- Be responsible for submission of accurate invoices on time and coordinate with client for on time payment.
- Inspect projects regularly to confirm high quality workmanship, schedule, proper safety procedures and client satisfaction.
- Ensure all changes in scope of work are fully accounted for and profitability is maximized. Client to approve prior to proceeding.
- Ensure all project tracking is completed for shop drawings, changes, project files, etc.
- Track, communicate and report project financial status to management.
Completing the Project and Project Closeout
- Request owner satisfaction letter from client (client reference letter).
- Execute plan to receive final payment on time. Complete project closeout checklist 1 month prior to substantial completion.
- Complete punch list and assist Superintendent in driving project to completion.
- Coordinate and assist Superintendent in completing deficiencies as soon as possible – as soon as deficiency is noted.
- Cancel or change over insurance, prime contractor, utilities, occupancy paperwork, etc.
- Coordinate/ schedule any spring work as soon as possible.
- Coordinate / approve warranty work during 1 year warranty.
- Conduct inspection at 1 year warranty expiration and coordinate any deficiencies for completion.
- Conducts project post mortems in order to identify area for improvement; make recommendations based on findings.
- Champions and supports the President, the Safety Co-ordinator, General Manager, and Construction & Operations Manager in the overall management of the program.
- Ensures all project staff are committed to the safety program.
- Ensure that safety program is followed by all parties.
- Take a leadership role to ensure the safety program remains effective and successful.
- Works closely with the safety coordinator to ensure that safety funds budgeted for each project
- Professionally and efficiently handle and administer multiple tasks on concurrently running projects with excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Identify growth and training opportunities for themselves and team members to management for overall growth and development of construction operations group.
- Work closely in teams with other members, PM’s or superintendents within company.
- Continually evaluate and communicate process and procedure innovations to streamline company operations and maximize profitability.